Biomass

Biomass is organic material made from plants and animals. It gets it's energy from the sun as the plants absorb CO² through photosynthesis. When the biomass is burnt the carbon is released back into the atmosphere making it carbon neutral other than the transportation. It is a renewable energy source as we can always grow more trees and crops. Look at the Energy Saving Trust website for a broad view of the technology and the estimated savings in money and carbon.

We are MCS approved for biomass installations so an installation by us will entitle the user to claim the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) payments providing the building meets the minimum requirements.

Common sources of biomass fuel are high yielding crops, wood and wood waste, agricultural residues, food waste and industrial waste.

Wood Fuel

The wood needs to come from a sustainable source so as not to increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. This means that if it comes from felling trees then more trees must be planted. Wood residue can also be used as fuel, this can be in the form of wood chips, shavings etc. that are by products of tree felling and timber processing, or just from waste wood.

Lenius Stoves

The Lenius series stoves from Consolar can be used either just for room heating, or for room and water or central heating. Ideally they can also be combined with a solar thermal system to achieve a completely CO2 neutral heat supply. This would also mean it would not be neccesary to burn biomass through the summer, less carbon emission and less labour implication.

The Lenius CP (pellet burning) and CL (log burning) are fitted with boilers for water heating and can easily be integrated into most existing heating systems. The boiler is much more efficient than a conventional back boiler, around 90%, as it can extract more heat from the fuel.

 

Lenius Pellet Stove (AP & CP)

The Lenius pellet stove has an output of up to 10kW and can be used either just for room heating (AP) or for room and water heating (CP). With the Lenius CP about 80% of it's heat is used to heat water with the remaining 20% heating the room. These can even be used effectively in airtight buildings as they can be supplied air by a dedicated external air supply.

 

 

 

Lenius Log Stove (CL)

The Lenius Log Stove supplies you with a room heating and water heating system and has an nominal heat output of 8kW. About 70% of it's heat is used to heat water with the remaining 30% heating the room. It can even be used effectively in airtight buildings as it can be supplied air by a dedicated external air supply.

 

Biomass Boilers

We can supply and install wood pellet or log biomass boilers. We also fit other manufacturers wood stoves as required by the specification or the customer.

We offer all the usual support, maintenance and sweeping to keep your stove operating cleanly, efficiently and safely.